Monday, March 17, 2014

First Days In Europe

Olomouc

This is my happiness!

My Traveling Gnome is the Doctor
 Some Lengthy Advice: 

Getting to Your Hostel: 
We arrived in the Czech Republic last Thursday, but I feel like I've already been here forever! The first days we were in Prague by ourselves and it was very easy to get around. One thing I had in my hand was a translating application and its been useful thus far! When you get off the flight, make sure you have the address of your hostel printed out. That is something I wish I would have done. I wrote it down but our taxi driver didn't really understand. I know the other group went with our professor, but if plan on venturing on your own . . . you'll be fine. Have some patience and be polite, everyone is extremely helpful. 

Phone:
I did not have a SIM card when I got here, nor do I have one yet. If you want to check our some plans I suggest Vodafone. I'll probably go there tomorrow to grab mine. Make sure you phone is SIM unlocked!! 


Transportation: 
Also when you riding the trans, metro, train you don't "need" a ticket. You can get away with it, HOWEVER, I suggest you do get one because while they do not check every time they do random searches!! Also you should probably carry your passport when you are out. I didn't want to do this but apparently we need to have it one us. It's drag because that's something I do NOT want to loose. 

Food: 
Water is expensive, you have to pay for the bathroom at many places (that's not new to me though, you pretty much have to do this in every country). And when you go to the grocery store, take a bag to carry your food in because you have to pay for the plastic bags. They're not expensive by any means, maybe like 1 crown. It's like literally a penny or less. 

Hostels usually have great suggestions for what to eat so definitely ask the locals!! Try the Czech meals first. And maybe bring some medicine for upset for stomach, I brought a lot of medicine and it's been helpful thus far! 

Flat Irons and Electronics: 
Also, for girls, just buy a converter or buy your blow dryer/straightener here. The voltage USUALLY for the ones in the USA are 110V, and here its 220-240V so there is a high chance if you just use an adapter it'll blow out your products. Converters are different than adapters!! An adapter just changes the cord to fit to the plug in. The converter, converts the voltage. I bought a cheap flat iron here at this store Globus for like 13 American dollars. 

My Take on The Czech Republic:

Getting out and about is easy! Have some confidence and just take a leap, getting lost is not the worst thing in the world. You learn better that day. Just be careful, it’s come sense type stuff. I love how easy the cities have been to get around. And I could talk for hours and hours about how beautiful all this time, but it’s just something you have to experience on your own. It feels like you are walking around a movie set, it just doesn't seem real that building can be so pretty.

I loved Prague so much. We walked around with a free tour we got from our campus and we got to dry hot wine and some amazing pastries. The bread here remind me of Mexico, expect it isn't as sweet as in Mexico. But it’s always fresh and there is many options! I’m a foodie so I can talk forever about how much I love the food and that will be a reoccurring theme throughout my blog. The super market is really great. They have like three isles of yogurt!! And I forgot to mention that eating out here is pretty cheap compared to the USA.

I’m a little under the weather aright now but it’s okay. We are going hiking tomorrow. Oh, yes, before I forgot. Shoes!! I broke my heels the second night in Prague because of the cobblestone in the city. Not my finest hour, but I would suggest getting thicker heels unless you want to walk around limping with one shoe with a heal and one without.

Just some final remakes, I’m really excited for what this trip has to offer. Just remember it’s not about partying, it’s about learning about his great country. Don’t get caught up in the party scene because while it is here, it really would be a shame if you missed out of the Czech because you are out partying all the time. Everything in moderation. Go out, but be cool about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment