Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Our trip to Vienna, Austria started on a cold, rainy day. We had planned to visit a couple places but due to the rain we had to change plans and visited a museum dedicated to the Hapsburgs. The museum followed the history of the family and the land they ruled, which consisted of most of all modern day Europe. Vienna is a city known for its art and history. During the second day we got the option between three famous museums in the city. My choice was of course the museum of Natural History. We got the reminder of the day to do as we wished, and luckily for us the weather was our side. We walked around the beautiful park and had authentic Austrian food. The next couple of days were dedicated to our time in Italy.


Italy, by far, has been my favorite place we have had the pleasure to visit as a group. When I was little I used to wish I could visit the country, I knew them from their football and of course their food. I never in a millions years thought I’d get to visit Venice or Rome for that matter. It was not exactly what I had imaged it would be, but maybe that’s why I enjoyed it so much. I loved the Italian culture. Everyone was loud, passionate, and extremely friendly. The city of Venice was so populated and it was just amazing getting to see the city. Luckily during our visit we didn’t get to experience a flooded Venice, but since it was common we got to see the make-shift bridges they place for when the city floods. During our stay there we ate so much. Italy is known for their food, and how could we not eat every chance we got?

Another thing I loved about Italy was how diverse it was. Everywhere we have been has been pretty similar, but not Italy. Not only did they have a diverse population but also landscape. After Venice we traveled to Rome, Italy.

Rome was not at all what I expected it to be. I forgot to mention before that getting around Italy was extremely easy because we knew Spanish. Spanish and Italian are similar and many of the words are exactly the same. Speaking Spanish was a blessing during this trip. But back on course, the first interesting thing that happened in Rome was that our “hostel” turned out to be a camping ground. We got little trailers to sleep in, which was not at all what we were expecting. Upon plugging in our electronics (Yes, luckily they had electricity), our power went out. Though they have electricity, it didn’t mean they had enough to accommodate for all four of us girls. The showers and bathrooms were a 4 minute walk away, and who really wants to make the walk late at night in a random, middle of know where, camping ground in Rome?

Secondly, Rome was very dirty. The buses were completely covered in graffiti and even the sites near the historic buildings, such as the Coliseum, were littered with trash, graffiti, and sketchy vendors. I expected the city to reserve more money towards preserving these important buildings, but I never saw such measures. 


After Rome, we made the journey to Dubrovnik, Croatia. Before going we noticed the weather was not going to be in our favor. But that did not stop us. The second day we were in the city was probably my favorite. We went on a little adventure sea kayaking in the Adriatic Sea, which I was comforted by our guide that it would be “easy”. Ha. Easy, yes maybe during the first hour. We traveled by kayak to a nearby island, but once we started going around the island the waters got turbulent. Looking back, we probably over reacted on the level of difficulty. But the waves were massive, they rocked our little kayak back and forth like a paper airplane in heavy winds. The island was mostly cliff and the water would crash dramatically against its surface. My biggest fear was we would be pushed by the waves into the cliff side. Luckily, our frantic paddling and assistance of our guides was enough to keep us safe away from such dangers. My friend and I felt like we were working so hard, but hardly moving an inch. After crossing the island, it become much more enjoyable. The sun came out and the waters calmed down. It was such a great experience, I’d definitely do it again.

Another highlight was hiking. I grew up in Mexico, where we would  go hiking on a daily basis. So it’s always a pleasure to get the chance to hike. Hiking in Croatia you will get some of the best views imaginable. You see the glistening seas, the giant green mountains, and the historic city of Dubrovnik.  

Lastly, I must comment our own great experience of the food in Croatia. The first place we visit sat viewing the sea. Our waiter was the nicest waiter we have had in all our Europe trip. Maybe it was a theme, but while we were eating the lights went out, so they brought us out 4 candles and it was actually really nice. We used our music from our phones, which was great because it was all Mexican music. The food, wow. Everything they served us, was fresh and homemade. The fish, freshly caught. They gave us some pre starters, which was a type of cheese mix and tuna. I’ll be sure to attempt to make it once I am back home.


I could go on and on about how amazing Croatia was. Everything from the food, the sea kayaking, jumping in the freezing cold water, running alongside the mountains with a beautiful view of the ocean, the amazing gelato, watching the futbol game El Classico at a local restaurant, hiking, the beautiful smell of the city! (There are jasmine trees planted EVERYWHERE so the entire city smells like Jasmine). But it’s a place I will recommend, and I hope to someday return to. 
                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment